Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Ethics post #1 -Text messaging


        Texting and talking on the phone while driving are two of the most dangerous killers among drivers . Most people direct their attention to things around them rather then paying attention to the road, which is the main reasons for many accidents today. A beep signals from your phone, you go grab it and take a look at what it says, and immediately respond. It takes a minute for you to open your phone and respond to the text, but it  also takes a second for your life to be over forever. Texting while behind the wheel takes your eyes off the road, which causes you to loose focus and cause serious harm to not only you, but to others also.
       Texting while driving is a primary offense because it is a serious, dangerous problem and makes people pay more attention then they ever did before. From the article "State Cell Phone Use and Texting While Driving Laws," it says that 32 states ban text messaging for all drivers, 28 states have primary enforcement; the others, secondary. 8 states prohibit text messaging by novice drivers, and 3 states restrict school bus drivers from texting while driving. If it was a secondary offense people would get the wrong message about what it really means and not make the right decisions they are suppose to make. The penalties for texting and driving is two points on your license and over a hundred dollars in fines, now who would want something like that?
       If a driver causes an accident while sending text messages which causes a fatal accident, they really cant be prosecuted for murder because they have already died. In the article "Celeb doctor was tweeting about dog before fatal crash," Dr. Frank Ryan was tweeting about his girlfriend Jill, and the view he was looking at atop the sand dune. Paying more attention to what he was writing about telling the world, he wasn't paying attention to the road which resulted to his own death and a car crash. I don't agree with the penalty of death if someone gets into a car crash, I just think they should be put in jail for lifetime instead. 
       I agree with the definition that forwarding a nude or semi-nude picture of an underage ex girl or boy friend can be prosecuted as a distribution of child pornography.  Its discussing that people would actually send nude pictures of themselves to each other without thinking of the consequences they would have to go through. In the article "sexting" Teens Can Go Too Far, Director Marisa Nightingale says it's crucial parents talk to their children about potential consequences, because while criminal charges are  rare, compromising photos could easily come back to haunt the teens when they go to apply for college or their first job. The only punishment that teenagers really should have for sexting others is either a first warning, or if it happens more then once, jail.
       I don't think "sexting" ever comes in to the topic when parent and teenagers have their talks, because obviously teenagers have no common sense to do the right thing, and instead get themselves in trouble in the end. Don't teens think about their privacy or the trust they are giving to their significant other with a picture of them nude, I don't think so.  In the article "Sexting Teens May Face Child Porn Charges," it says that parents can help their kids to understand that messages and pictures sent over the Internet and cell phones are not truly private or anonymous and once they press 'send' all bets are off. In the end I do think that teens should be prosecuted for their actions, but not murder!

6 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with everything you said, definitely with the punishment for sexting. I too agree that the punishment shouldn't be as harsh as being registered as a sex offender. Instead, they should just get a warning or maybe a $100 fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the particular case you referred to about the death penalty about the doctor about not getting the death penalty because he is already dead I agree with, but what if a driver who is texting and he kills another person because he is not paying attention to the road and just say that a child was killed you don't think the death penalty is warranted? I do, I think they should force that law, an eye for an eye...just an opinion. That death should not have happened, the driver should not be texting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Text is too tiny to read. Please restore it to the template default.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure if I agree with the death penalty either, an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. We should just keep those eyes on the road and off phones while we still have em.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with everything you said. Good points with your conclusion because teens don't have common sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No references.

    Credit: 10 points.

    ReplyDelete